The Abnow.com is a malicious application that is classified as a browser hijacker, and always sneaks in the computers silently. The Abnow.com is capable of hijacking all the popular browsers, including the internet explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. This nasty browser hijacker makes several changes in the system without your permission, once it installed on the system successfully. The hackers use this malicious application to display the spam contents through pop-up messages, and achieve the monetary benefits. It modifies the default search provider, DNS settings, windows firewall, home page, desktop background, and the windows registry. Besides that, it disables the antivirus, task manager, and registry editor, and removes some of the most important system files without your consent. These malicious applications also act as an information stealer, and access your most confidential data such as credit card numbers, and passwords. Sometimes it also performs fake scans on the system and threatens the users by showing fake errors.
Removal of Abnow.com
The Abnow.com is one of the most dangerous browser hijackers developed recently that can be a serious threat for the system which should be removed completely from the system. The automatic removal method is the most popular method of getting rid of such stubborn infections as it is easy to use, and ideal for the novice computer users. Besides that, the manual removal of the Abnow.com is also possible yet extremely complicated, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You are required to boot the system in the safe mode before proceeding into the manual removal process. Reboot the computer to terminate the normal mode, and strike the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted in order to access the boot options menu. Select the Safe Mode option from the boot options menu before pressing the Enter key to access the safe mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
End the associated processes of the Abnow.com with the help of task manager. In this regard, hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab to find the suspicious processes associated with the Abnow.com. You have to kill the following corrupt processes from the list before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder, and remove the following malicious files along with their folders by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\ Abnow.com.lnk
- %Programs%\ Abnow.com\ Abnow.com.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Access the registry editor through RegEdit command that can be executed through Run option available in the Start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following corrupt entries associated with the Abnow.com from the windows registry:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Abnow.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Abnow.com
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Abnow.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Abnow.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Abnow.com\DisplayName Abnow.com
Close the registry editor before restarting the system in the normal mode, and run full system scan through an updated version of your current antivirus software.