The 7.rotator.widgetmedia.com is another variation of recently discovered computer infections that belongs to the browser hijackers category. The 7.rotator.widgetmedia.com is capable of infecting all the well known browsers including the Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Regardless of whatever search engine you are using, this malicious application can redirect all your searches towards unwanted websites where you are asked to purchase a certain brand of products. The hackers use the spam emails, freeware, and rogue websites to promote as well as distribute the 7.rotator.widgetmedia.com. This deadly dangerous browser hijacker manipulates the search results and your surfing activity in order to achieve their illegal objectives. This browser hijacker is used by the notorious hackers to access the sensitive data files, steal the personal details including the emails, passwords, browsing history, and most importantly the credit card details. All such actions are actually a part of stealing your money through frauds.
The Manual Removal of 7.rotator.widgetmedia.com
Once it is confirmed that the 7.rotator.widgetmedia.com is present inside your hard drive, you have to leave everything and remove this infection as your top priority. This browser hijacker can be removed through the automatic removal tools. The manual removal of this virus is also possible yet complicated that is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You boot the system in the safe mode in order to start the manual removal process. To access the safe mode, you have to restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu where you can select the Safe mode option. Once the booting options are visible on your screen, select the Safe Mode and hit the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the safe mode is accessed successfully, you have to proceed to the next step of this process which is removal of the associated processes. Open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab where you can see the list of processes running in the background. Delete the following processes before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You must find as well as remove the following associated files of the 7.rotator.widgetmedia.com from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of this process is removal of the corrupt entries from the windows registry. Open the registry editor by selecting the Start menu, choose Run option, and type regedit in the box before pressing the OK button. Once the registry editor is accessed on your screen, remove the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7.rotator.widgetmedia.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7.rotator.widgetmedia.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7.rotator.widgetmedia.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7.rotator.widgetmedia.com\DisplayName 7.rotator.widgetmedia.com
Restart the PC in the normal mode after closing the registry editor, to see the result of your efforts. Run a complete system scan after updating your existing antivirus software.